Question When is the application deadline for next Fall?

Answer The application deadline is MARCH 1st. We will begin to accept online applications after December 1st.

Question Where do I send my official transcripts, letters of recommendation, TOEFL/IELTS scores, translations to?

Answer All official hardcopy documentation to support your online application should be mailed to the following address: For questions regarding any of the official documentation, please inquire directly with the Graduate Admissions Office via phone: 212-650-6898 or via email: Rosalia Rodriguez

Question Can I apply for acceptance in the Spring semester, if I miss the Fall application deadline?

Answer Acceptance is for FALL ONLY– Each entering class begins together in the fall semester and moves forward in sequence to build and nurture their productions in collaboration. Therefore, we cannot admit new students into the program during Spring semesters.

Question Can I attend as a part-time student?

Answer The Program is designed as FULL-TIME, therefore most students work part-time, freelance or are employed on a contract basis. The Program does NOT offer its courses on a non-matriculated, exchange program, CUNY-BA, or audit basis. The Program also does not accept or transfer credits between institutions. Our courses are only offered once a year and primarily during daytime hours (no weekend option available at this time).

Question How long does it take to complete the Program?

Answer This Program is full-time, 5 semesters (two years, including 1 summer semester in between); total of 54 credits.

Question What are the academic requirements for entrance?

Answer Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major. International applicants MUST have an equivalency of a U.S. 4-year BA or BFA degree (this is determined by the UAPC). Applicants must also have prerequisite courses related to the following (or the equivalent of in work experience):

Question Do I need to take entrance exams?

Answer Standardized entrance exams such as GRE’s are not required. However, international students from non-English speaking countries must take the TOEFL (target score: 575 or 91-IBT) or IELTS (target score: 6).

Question What is the cost of tuition?

Answer NYS residents are charged a full-time/flat-rate for up to 18 credits per semester, while out-of-state and international students are charged per credit hour. The most up-to-date fees can be found online via: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/bursar/tuition-and-feeinformation

Question Are there any other fees?

Answer You can anticipate about $1,000 per year in materials fees, in addition to books.

Question Are there any scholarships offered?

Answer The department grants several scholarships based on merit to students (mostly in their second year of study) in the program. There are also awards of cash and services given at our annual Cityvisions Film & Video Showcase.

Question Are there any Fellowship or Assistantship opportunities?

Answer We do not offer any assistantships or paid teaching assistant positions. However. Students also have an opportunity in their final (Spring) semester of study in the program, to work as a TA in Film/Video classes that require assistants, in conjunction with Graduate Independent Study.

Question What about Financial Aid?

Answer Students are also strongly encouraged to file a FAFSA application for federal and state financial aid, via: http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/financialaid/ which can also determine their eligibility for Federal Work Study (paid student hourly positions) within our department (placement varies per semester and based on the needs of department faculty).

Question Does the program subsidize thesis projects or offer production insurance?

Answer Not directly. We do, however, create an environment that is conducive to keeping costs to an absolute minimum. We also offer production insurance (certificates of liability for locations and rental equipment) exclusively for 2nd year MFA thesis projects only.

Question Does the program subsidize thesis projects or offer production insurance?

Answer Not directly. We do, however, create an environment that is conducive to keeping costs to an absolute minimum. We also offer production insurance (certificates of liability) exclusively for 2nd year MFA thesis projects only.

Question What type of cameras does the program currently offer to enrolled City-Film students?

Answer As of Fall 2020, we offer the Panasonic UX90s and HMC160s, the Steadicam Jr. (only loaned out after class instruction), a large studio jib and a small Ikan mini jib, the standard small audio recorder and the Tascam DR40. We also have some Zoom F4s and SD Mixpre 3s for audio, and Sony FS5s and Sony A7IIIs cameras (for advanced/2nd year thesis classes).

Question Are there internships or Independent Study opportunities?

Answer Yes, although most are “unpaid” internships. The program offers academic credit (1-3 credits) for internships and Independent Study projects (TA positions) assigned within the program, and at times may place students with outside agencies.

Question If I am accepted but cannot attend in the fall, can I defer my attendance to the next fall?

Answer No, you must re-apply for the following year, however some of your initial application can be recycled forward.

Question Does CCNY offer campus housing/dorms?

Answer Yes, for more information on campus housing at The City College of NY, visit: https://www.ccny.cuny.edu/housing. For assistance with “off campus” student housing, please contact the Student Services Office at: 212-650-5370 to inquire about a student housing assistance application, if available.

Question Who do I contact with International Student inquiries?

Answer For ALL other International Student inquiries such as immigration, employment, medical insurance, social security numbers, housing) please contact the International Students & Scholar Services at: (212) 650-8106 or via email at: OISCC@ccny.cuny.edu or visit their website via: http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/isss/.

Question What are the academic standards/requirements to stay matriculated in the program?

Answer As a graduate program, we institute very high standards. Students must maintain a cumulative “B” (3.0) grade point average. If the GPA drops below 3.0, the student is automatically placed on probation for the next semester. If the cumulative GPA does not rise above 3.0 by the end of the next semester, the student will be dismissed from the program.


City Film logo

MFA in Film at The City College of New York

160 Convent Avenue (@ 138th Street)
Shepard Hall - Room 286
New York, NY 10031
Phone: 212-650-7235
Fax: 212-650-5734
Email: info@city-film.org
The City College of New York, CUNY

The City College of New York logo

Facebook    Instagram icon    Vimeo icon